Email marketing is an effective way to reach your target audience. Still, it can only be successful with a healthy email list. An Email list management system is essential to maintain the quality of your contact list and ensure that your email campaigns land in your subscriber's inbox instead of the spam folder.
In this ultimate guide, we will cover the best email list management tools and practices to help you optimize your email marketing strategy for 2023.
- Email Marketing Statistics
- What is the Best Email List Management Software?
- Email List Management Best Practices
- Benefits of Proper Email List Management
- Benefits of Email Marketing Software
- How To Optimize Your Email Marketing Strategy
- Buyer's Guide: How to Choose the Best Email List Management Software
- Best Email List Management Software
Email Marketing Statistics
Before diving into the best practices of email list management, let's take a quick look at some email marketing statistics highlighting the importance of a solid email marketing strategy.
- There are around 4.3 billion email users worldwide in 2023, and that number is expected to reach 4.6 billion by 2025.
- Email marketing has an average ROI of $36 for every $1 spent and even $45 in retail, e-commerce, and consumer goods sectors.
- Segmented email campaigns have a 14.31% higher open rate than non-segmented campaigns.
- Emails with personalized subject lines have a 26% higher open rate than those without personalization.
- The average email open rate for all industries is 21.33%, and the click-through rate is 2.62%.
What is the Best Email List Management Software?
Choosing the right email list management software is crucial for the success of your email marketing efforts. There are various email service providers available in the market. We have narrowed down the best email list management tools to the following:
1 – ActiveCampaign
ActiveCampaign is the ideal platform for any business that needs powerful email marketing, automation tools and CRM capabilities. Its unique features include a drag-and-drop designer, A/B testing, and automated campaigns. On top of this, you get highly accurate segmentation options and contact tagging, so your emails always reach the right people at precisely the right time!
2 – GetResponse
Unleash the full potential of your email marketing campaigns with GetResponse. This powerful email marketing tool lets you easily design beautiful emails and newsletters, create stunning landing pages for conversions, manage subscribers more efficiently through segmentation and tagging tools, automate targeted campaigns to improve customer engagement rates, and gain valuable insights from powerful analytics reports.
3 – Mailchimp
Mailchimp is the go-to email marketing platform for those looking to increase ROI and engage their audience. Its intuitive user interface and comprehensive list of features such as segmentation, tags, and advanced insights empower users with all the data and capabilities to create highly effective campaigns that will drive success.
4 – ConvertKit
Take your email marketing to the next level with ConvertKit. ConvertKit is the go-to email marketing platform for content creators. This easy-to-use platform enables you to automate emails and create landing pages and forms that are fully customizable according to your needs. Plus, it comes packed with powerful list management features such as segmentation, tags, and more!
5 – Constant Contact
With Constant Contact, creating attractive emails and keeping contacts organized is easier than ever. This powerful email marketing platform offers a wide array of eye-catching templates plus an easy drag-and-drop editor for faster customizing. Plus, you can segment your lists using tags or contact management tools so that each person receives the most relevant content possible!
6 – HubSpot
HubSpot is the ultimate solution for all your marketing needs, offering advanced features such as email list segmentation, custom opt-in forms, contact tagging, and so much more. With this comprehensive platform, you can easily manage emails while automating processes to streamline workflow.
7 – Sendinblue
With Sendinblue, you'll have access to all the email marketing features you need for your business. From intuitive contact management tools and advanced reporting capabilities to customizable email templates and automation systems, creating campaigns that get results has never been easier! Plus, its robust list management features like segmentation and tagging allow you to quickly target customers with hyper-specific messages – ensuring a higher return on investment from every email campaign.
Email List Management Best Practices
Smart email list management is integral to guaranteeing the success of your email marketing initiatives. Your outcomes are linked to how well you manage your contact lists, so it's critical that you comply with best practices for managing them.
To help get you on track and make sure nothing slips through the cracks, here are some email list management best practices:
1 – Email List Source
Your email list source is the foundation of your email marketing campaign, and it's crucial to ensure you're getting quality contacts.
Make sure you acquire email addresses from reputable sources and that you have explicit permission to send emails to these contacts.
It's also important to segment your email list based on the source of the email addresses. For example, if you acquired a list of email addresses from an event you attended, you should segment those email addresses separately from your existing customer base.
Here are some sources you can use to build your email list:
- Opt-in Forms: Set up opt-in forms on your website, blog, or social media pages to encourage visitors to subscribe to your email list. Ensure your opt-in forms are set up correctly and use lead magnets such as e-books, webinars, or exclusive content to entice people to sign up.
- Existing Customer Base: If you have an existing customer base, ask them to sign up for your email list to receive exclusive offers, promotions, or updates.
- Recently Acquired Leads: If you've acquired leads through a trade show, conference, or another event, follow up with them and ask if they'd like to subscribe to your contact list.
2 – Get Your Subscribers' Permission
It's crucial to get explicit permission from your subscribers before you start sending them marketing emails. You can do this by using a single or double opt-in process. Here's what you need to know:
- Single Opt-in: With a single opt-in, subscribers only need to enter their email address to sign up for your email list. While this process is quick and easy, it may result in invalid email addresses or subscribers who are not interested in your content.
- Double Opt-in: With a double opt-in, subscribers need to confirm their email address by clicking on a verification link sent to their email. This process ensures that you have a valid email address and that the subscriber is genuinely interested in your content.
Always confirm emails with double opt-in to ensure you're not sending emails to invalid email addresses.
3 – Make it easy to unsubscribe
Giving your subscribers an easy way to unsubscribe from your emails is essential. This not only helps to maintain a healthy email list, but it also helps to prevent your subscriber's inbox emails from being marked as spam.
In every email you send, include an unsubscribe link that is clearly visible and easy to use.
Letting your audience manage their subscriptions is critical to email list management. In every email, remind subscribers that they opted into your email list and offer alternative ways to stay in touch.
Offer alternative ways to stay in touch
When someone decides to unsubscribe from your email list, it doesn't necessarily mean they don't want to hear from you anymore. They may want to limit the number of emails they receive or prefer to receive content through a different channel.
That's why it's crucial to provide alternative ways to stay in touch with your brand, such as inviting them to follow you on social media, join your community groups, or sign up for your blog push notifications.
By doing so, you can keep your brand top of mind and continue to engage with your audience in a way that suits their preferences.
4 – Personalization
Personalization is an effective way to increase engagement with your subscribers. You should send personalized emails and email sequences based on your scoring system and master your tagging and segmentation.
Use personalized content such as the subscriber's name, location, or interests to make the email feel more personal.
By segmenting your email list, you can tailor your content and messaging to specific groups of subscribers based on their interests and behavior.
Add Contact tags
Use contact tags to label subscribers based on their behavior, interests, and other relevant information.
Provide frequency options
Let subscribers choose the frequency they receive your emails and let them tell you what they are more interested in.
Giving your subscribers the ability to choose how frequently they receive your emails is a best practice for email list management. This helps reduce unsubscribes and shows your subscribers that you value their preferences and respect their time.
You can provide frequency options in your signup forms or in the footer of your emails.
5 – Send Automated Email Sequences
Automated email sequences are a great way to engage subscribers and keep them interested in your brand. These sequences can be triggered by specific actions or behaviors, such as signing up for a newsletter or making a purchase.
You can use these sequences to introduce your brand, promote products or services, and provide valuable content to your subscribers.
Create a Welcome email sequence
One important automated email sequence to set up is a welcome email sequence. It is the first email your subscribers receive after signing up for your list, and it's crucial to making a positive first impression.
Make your new subscribers feel welcome by sending personalized welcome emails!
Best practices for your welcome email:
- Address the subscriber by name.
- Provide clear next-step instructions.
- Offer a welcome gift.
- Ask them to whitelist your email address.
- Invite them to follow you on social media.
- Ask how you can help.
6 – Send relevant content to keep a healthy email list
To maintain a healthy email list, send personalized and engaging content to increase the likelihood of it being read and clicked on. Use segmentation and tagging features to target specific groups with tailored content. Additionally, send emails at a frequency that suits your subscribers and provide frequency options to ensure that your emails are delivered to their inbox, not their spam folder.
7 – Track Analytics
Tracking your email marketing analytics is essential to improving your marketing efforts and maintaining a healthy email list.
Tracking your email campaign's analytics is essential for evaluating its performance, maintaining a healthy email list, and identifying areas for improvement.
The key performance indicators (KPIs) for email marketing include:
- deliverability rate
- open rate
- click-through rate
- engagement rate
- bounce rate
- unsubscribe rate
Email deliverability rates
Deliverability rates refer to the percentage of emails that reach subscribers' inboxes. Low deliverability rates can affect your sender reputation and cause your emails to land in the spam folder. To ensure a high deliverability rate, maintain a healthy list, and use email validation tools to remove invalid email addresses.
The open rate measures the percentage of recipients who opened your email. A high open rate indicates that your subject line was engaging and that the email was relevant to the recipient.
The click-through rate (CTR) measures the percentage of subscribers who click on a link in your email compared to the number of emails viewed. A high CTR indicates that your content is engaging and relevant to your audience.
It measures how engaged your subscribers are with your emails. This metric includes clicks, shares, forwards, and replies. A high engagement rate indicates that your content resonates with your audience.
The bounce rate measures the percentage of undeliverable emails due to an invalid email address or other issues. High bounce rates can hurt your sender reputation and lead to lower deliverability rates.
The unsubscribe rate measures the percentage of subscribers who opted out of your emails. It's essential to make it easy for subscribers to unsubscribe and honor their requests promptly.
The churn rate measures how many subscribers leave your list over a specific period.
Conduct Email Quality Assurance
Email quality assurance involves testing your emails across various devices and email clients to ensure they display correctly. Testing your emails before sending them is crucial to avoid broken links, images, and formatting issues.
Tracking all these metrics can help you identify any issues with your emails, such as low open rates or high unsubscribe rates, and adjust your strategy accordingly.
8 – Maintain Email List Hygiene
Maintaining a clean email list is crucial to ensuring your emails are delivered to your subscribers' inboxes, not their spam folders. You want to maximize your deliverability rates, reduce bounce rates, and avoid spam complaints. A dirty list, on the other hand, can harm your sender reputation and lead to lower email deliverability rates.
Here are some best practices to help you maintain a healthy email list:
Reduce email bounce rate: HARD BOUNCE VS. SOFT BOUNCE
Emails may be undeliverable, leading to a “bounce” due to invalid addresses or other issues. There are two kinds of bounces: soft and hard.
- Hard bounces happen when an email is returned due to a permanent issue, such as an invalid email address or an email that doesn't exist.
- Soft bounces occur when the email server is temporarily unavailable or the recipient's inbox is full.
Delete emails from hard or soft bounces
Remove emails that have hard-bounced from your list. Soft bounces are typically temporary and may resolve themselves. However, if an email address soft bounces multiple times, remove it from your list.
Manage bounced emails
Review your bounce report to:
- Remove duplicate addresses.
- Remove addresses with typos.
- Fix addresses with typos.
- Update invalid addresses.
- Remove invalid addresses using email validation tools.
Filter Your Email Subscribers based on Engagement
Filtering your subscribers based on their engagement can help you identify inactive subscribers and remove them from your list. This can also help improve your deliverability rate.
Indeed, by removing inactive users and subscribers and only targeting your most engaged audience, you will increase your engagement rate – open and click-through rates – so that email service providers are less likely to view you as spam.
Maintain a healthy email deliverability standing
Healthy email deliverability standing requires maintaining a clean email list and reducing spam complaints.
Avoid the spam folder
To avoid the spam folder, avoid using spammy language, use a recognizable sender name, and personalize your emails.
You should also:
- Reduce sending costs
- Keep tags and segmentation updated
- Remove unsubscribes
9 – Re-engage Inactive Subscribers
Creating a re-engagement email campaign is an effective strategy to reactivate unengaged subscribers and increase your engagement rates.
Typically, a subscriber in an email database is considered inactive when they haven't opened or clicked on your emails in a few months. By targeting these subscribers, you may be able to re-engage them and keep them on your list.
Use a re-engagement email campaign to remind subscribers about your brand and offer an incentive for them to engage with your brand and email marketing efforts again.
Here are a few strategies you can use in your re-engagement campaigns:
- Use compelling subject lines: Your subject line is your first impression with your subscribers, so make sure it stands out. Use a catchy phrase or ask a question to entice them to open your email.
- Personalize your campaigns: Personalization is key to re-engaging inactive subscribers. By addressing your subscribers by their first name, for example, you can make your email feel more personal and engaging.
- Ask for assistance: Ask your subscribers how you can help them. By showing them that you care about their needs, you can build a stronger relationship and increase the chances of re-engagement.
- Add value: Sometimes, a little extra incentive can go a long way. Consider offering a coupon or giveaway to encourage subscribers to take action.
10 – Automatically Remove Unengaged Subscribers
While re-engagement campaigns can be successful, removing unengaged subscribers from your list is also essential. Unengaged subscribers can hurt your email marketing efforts by reducing your engagement rates and increasing your risk of landing in the spam folder.
Most email marketing tools allow you to remove unengaged subscribers from your list automatically. You can set up your email marketing platform to remove subscribers who haven't opened or clicked on your personalized emails after a certain period of time.
By doing this, you can keep your list up-to-date and focus your marketing efforts on the subscribers most likely to engage with your content.
It can also help you reduce costs. Indeed, by removing unengaged email subscribers, you can ensure that you're only paying for contacts who are interested in your brand.
11 – Conduct A/B Testing Campaigns
A/B testing, also known as split testing, compares two versions of a marketing campaign to determine which one performs better. With email marketing, A/B testing can help you optimize your campaigns for better engagement and conversion rates.
You can test different elements of your email campaigns, such as the subject line, call-to-action, or the time of day you send your emails.
To conduct an A/B test, you'll need to create two different versions of your email, with one variable changed between them. This could be anything from the subject line to the call to action (CTA).
Once you've sent both versions to a subset of your subscriber list, you can analyze the results to see which version performed better. You can then use this information to optimize your email marketing strategy and create more effective campaigns.
12 – Never Buy Email Lists
One of the biggest mistakes you can make in email marketing is buying an email list.
Buying email lists may seem like a quick and easy way to grow your contact list, but it can do more harm than good. When you buy an email list, you're violating the privacy of the contacts on that list and risking damaging your sender reputation and getting marked as spam. It's also illegal in many countries!
Instead, focus on building your email list organically through targeted campaigns and high-quality content.
This may take more time and effort but will result in a higher-quality list and better engagement rates in the long run. Indeed, by growing your list organically, you can ensure that your subscribers are genuinely interested in your brand and your email marketing efforts.
Benefits of Proper Email List Management
Proper email list management is essential for the success of your email marketing campaigns. Here are a few of the key benefits:
- Understand your audience better: Proper email list management allows you to collect valuable data about your email subscribers, such as their interests, demographics, and behaviors. This information can help you create more targeted, personalized content that resonates with your audience.
- Reliable data: A well-managed email list provides accurate and reliable data that you can use to measure the success of your email marketing campaigns. With accurate data, you can make informed decisions about your email marketing strategy and optimize your efforts for better engagement rates and conversions.
- Higher deliverability rate: By removing invalid email addresses and keeping your list up-to-date, you can improve your email deliverability and avoid getting your emails sent to the spam folder.
- Maintain a healthy list: A healthy email list is vital to the success of your email marketing efforts. By removing unengaged subscribers and keeping your list clean, you can maintain a high-quality list that is more likely to engage with your content.
- Cost reduction: Email list management software typically charges per contact. Therefore, if you have fewer inactive or invalid contacts in your email list, you will pay less to maintain your list. This cost-effective approach can help you save money and focus your marketing efforts on a smaller, more engaged audience, ultimately leading to higher conversion rates and ROI.
Benefits of Email Marketing Software
Email marketing software has revolutionized the way businesses communicate with their customers. By leveraging the power of automation, personalization, and data analysis, you can take your email marketing to the next level.
Here are the main benefits of using email marketing software:
Personalization is one of the most effective ways to improve your email marketing campaigns' engagement and conversion rates. Email marketing software lets you personalize your emails based on your subscribers' behavior, interests, and other relevant data. With features like dynamic content and segmentation, you can deliver highly relevant content to your subscribers and increase the chances of them taking action.
Reporting and analysis
To optimize your email marketing strategy, you need to track and analyze your data. Email marketing software provides detailed analytics and reporting features that can help you measure your campaigns' effectiveness, identify improvement areas, and make data-driven decisions.
Email marketing software can help you streamline your marketing efforts and save time by automating repetitive tasks. With features like autoresponders, triggered emails, and drip campaigns, you can send the right message to the right person at the right time. This not only improves the efficiency of your campaigns but also enhances the customer experience.
Creating visually appealing and professional-looking emails can be time-consuming and challenging. Email marketing software offers a variety of pre-designed email templates that can save you time and effort. With customizable templates, you can tailor your emails to your brand and audience while maintaining a consistent look and feel across all your campaigns.
How To Optimize Your Email Marketing Strategy
To optimize your email marketing strategy, you must focus on building and maintaining an active list of engaged subscribers. It means that your subscribers are opening, reading, and taking action on your emails, which can lead to higher conversions and revenue.
To achieve this, you should follow email list management best practices. Provide relevant and personalized content, segment your list based on subscriber behavior and preferences, and regularly engage with your subscribers through re-engagement campaigns, surveys, and feedback requests.
By prioritizing the engagement of your email list, you can achieve better results from your email marketing efforts and improve your ROI.
Subscriber Growth and Retention
Subscriber growth and retention are essential for successful email marketing campaigns. To expand your reach and increase ROI, you must constantly attract new subscribers while retaining existing ones through engaging content. You can attract new subscribers with lead magnets, social media, and referral programs while optimizing signup forms and landing pages. To retain subscribers, provide personalized content and engage with them through re-engagement campaigns, surveys, and feedback requests.
Buyer's Guide: How to Choose the Best Email List Management Software
When choosing the best email list management software for your business, it's essential to consider various factors that can affect the success of your email marketing campaigns.
Here are some key characteristics of good email list management tools to help guide your decision-making process.
- CRM Integration (Customer Relationship Management)
- Marketing automation to set up workflows
- List segmentation and contact tags
- Detailed data reports
Best Email List Management Software
Here are some of the best email list management software available on the market, depending on what you want to achieve:
Forms and popups
- Thrive Leads
Email Marketing Software
Email marketing software is a tool that allows you to manage your email lists and email marketing campaigns. It simplifies the process of creating, sending, and tracking email campaigns.
Most email marketing tools offer a range of features, such as email templates, automation, and detailed reports, that can help you optimize your email marketing efforts.
Here are some of the most popular email marketing software options:
- GetResponse: GetResponse is a comprehensive marketing solution that helps you maximize your business potential. It offers everything from email marketing, landing pages, and automation tools to customizable templates, detailed reporting, and more! GetResponse is the perfect platform for businesses of all sizes looking to take their online presence up a notch.
- ConvertKit: ConvertKit is the ultimate email marketing software for creators, bloggers, and small businesses. With it comes email automation, stunning landing pages that captivate viewers, and powerful analytics to track your progress.
- Mailchimp: Mailchimp is a well-known email marketing software that offers a variety of features, such as email templates, landing pages, automation, and detailed reporting.
- Constant Contact: With Constant Contact, you can quickly and easily create engaging email campaigns to capture your customers' attention. In addition to its robust set of features such as automated emails, detailed analytics reporting, and customizable templates – it also integrates with social media networks and e-commerce tools.
Email Validation Software
Email validation software is a tool that verifies the validity of an email address. It checks to see if an email address is valid and helps remove invalid email addresses from your email list.
Here are some of the most popular email validation software options:
Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
Customer relationship management (CRM) is a tool that helps you manage your customer relationships. It allows you to store customer information, track interactions, and manage your sales pipeline.
Here are some of the most popular CRM options:
What is email list management?
Email list management is the process of maintaining and optimizing your email list. It includes removing invalid email addresses, segmenting your list, and ensuring subscribers are engaged and interested in your content.
Why should I manage my email list?
Managing your email list can help you improve your email deliverability, avoid spam traps, and increase your engagement rates. It can also help you save time and resources by targeting your campaigns to your most engaged email subscribers.
What makes a healthy email list?
A healthy email list includes engaged and interested subscribers who have explicitly opted in to receive your emails. It is also regularly updated to remove invalid email addresses and avoid spam traps.
What is the risk of poor email list management?
Poor email list management can lead to low engagement rates, high bounce rates, and low email deliverability. It can also damage your sender reputation and result in your emails being marked as spam.
What are the challenges of email list management?
The main challenges of email list management are keeping your list up to date, avoiding spam traps, and ensuring that your email subscribers are engaged and interested in your content.
How can I find invalid email addresses?
To find invalid email addresses, you can use email validation software. These tools help you identify invalid, risky, or unknown email addresses by checking them against a database of known invalid addresses, syntax errors, and spam traps.
What is a spam trap?
A spam trap is an email address created to identify and catch spammers. It is typically an inactive email address set up by an ISP, anti-spam organizations, or email blacklist providers to identify senders who are sending unsolicited emails or using poor email list management practices.
There are two types of spam traps:
- Pure Spam Traps: These email addresses have never been used by real people and exist specifically to catch spammers who harvest email addresses from the internet or purchase email lists.
- Recycled Spam Traps: These email addresses come from previously valid ones that have not been used for a long time. They are often added to inactive email accounts or email accounts that users have abandoned.
Suppose an email marketer sends an email to a spam trap. In that case, it can trigger adverse consequences, including lower email deliverability, increased chances of being marked as spam, and damage to the sender's reputation. Therefore, it is crucial to have proper email list management practices in place to avoid sending emails to spam traps.
What is Email Deliverability?
Email deliverability refers to the ability of your emails to reach your subscribers' inboxes. It depends on various factors, including your sender reputation, email content, list hygiene, and email service provider.
To improve your email deliverability, you should focus on providing relevant and engaging content to your subscribers, segmenting your list, filtering subscribers based on their interests and behavior, and regularly cleaning your list from invalid or inactive email addresses.
Why do people unsubscribe from email lists?
People unsubscribe from email lists for various reasons, including receiving irrelevant content, receiving too many emails, or feeling like the emails look spammy.
Additionally, some targeted email recipients may unsubscribe because they don't remember subscribing to the list or are no longer interested in the content.
Regardless of the reason, it's essential to make it easy for readers to unsubscribe by clearly displaying the unsubscribe button. This helps prevent your emails from being marked as spam, which can negatively impact your bounce rate, email deliverability, and overall reputation.
Email list management is an essential component of any successful email marketing strategy. By following some list management best practices, such as double opt-in, list segmentation, and personalized content, you can improve your email campaigns' engagement and conversion rates while avoiding common pitfalls such as spam traps and inactive subscribers.
Using the right email marketing tools and software, such as GetResponse, ActiveCampaign, or ConvertKit, can make a significant difference in managing your email list and ensuring its success. These tools provide features such as CRM integration, email marketing automation, and detailed data reports to help you optimize your campaigns, track your ROI, and grow your subscriber base.
Don't let poor email list management hold back your marketing efforts. Invest in the right tools and implement best practices to make the most out of your email campaigns.
Try the recommended email list management software and see the results for yourself.