In this exhaustive guide, we will show you how you can use the Shopify compare at price feature to skyrocket your sales.
“What do customers want?” This is one of the most asked questions by entrepreneurs looking to venture into profitable businesses. After all, you cannot make enough profit for your business if you do not have customers. And customers want credibility, great customer service, rewards, prompt responses, kind gestures, and the list goes on.
TIP | The leading tools you need to start and grow your online business:
But do you know what customers want most from you? Discounts. Yes, customers love getting reduced prices for their products. I mean, who would say no to a product that is being sold at a lower price, but still maintains its great quality and strength?
The big question is, just how can you convince your customers that your products are discounted and worth buying? After all, simply writing a big “Discount Sale” sign does not mean your customers will automatically believe you. Well, if you have a Shopify account, one thing you can do is use the ‘Compare at price' feature provided.
So what exactly is the Shopify Compare at Price? And how can you use this feature to benefit your business and your customers? Read along!
What is Shopify Compare at Price?
Shopify “compare at price” is a feature that allows sellers to show the original price of their products, as well as their discounted prices. It is a data field included on the tag of each product being sold on the platform.
The original price is usually crossed out just next to the discounted price. Hence, customers are able to determine the discounts being provided by simply calculating the difference between the original price and the current price. These discounts are what entice most customers to buy the products.
How to Edit Shopify Compare at Price
The following are step-by-step instructions on how can you edit the compare at prices for single products and bulk products:
A. How to Edit Compare at Price for Single Products
1. Log in to your Shopify account to access the admin panel.
2. Click on Products. On the list of products that display, click on the exact product you would like to edit its compare at price.
3. Under the Pricing section, you should see two fields: ‘Price' and ‘Compare at Price.' Under the ‘Compare at price' field, put the original price of the product. Under the ‘Price' field, put your lower discounted price.
If your product has several variants and you don't see the “compare at price” in the “Variants” section, select it via the checkbox and click on “Open bulk editor”. You can then modify the “compare at price” for this product as shown in the image below.
4. Click Save to save your changes. When that particular product goes live, it will appear with the original, higher price crossed out and the discounted price just next to it. However, other factors such as the color, size and formatting of the prices will be determined by the theme you are using on your account.
B. How to Edit Compare at Price for Multiple Products
There are two different ways you can edit the Shopify compare at price for bulk items:
Method 1: On Shopify’s Website
1. Log in to your account to access the homepage of your admin panel.
2. Click on Products. Then, tap and select all the products that you would want to edit their compare at price.
3. Click on ‘Edit products” (this is located above the table with all the products). This will bring the Bulk Editor page, where you can then edit the compare at prices of each product, one by one.
4. If you would like to add other fields to visualize more product details, simply click “Add fields.”
Method 2: Via Shopify Excel Template
On your Shopify account, download an Excel template on your PC via the product export feature. The template usually comes with all the products included. Since every column is editable, you can easily edit the “Variant Compare at Price” column to set your original prices and discounted prices.
Using Shopify Compare at Price to Increase your Profits
Discounts are a quick and effective strategy to draw more customers into your business. However, putting discounts in products also means lower profits and revenue for your business. Therefore, while you want to attract more and more customers, you also need to strategize ways of making more money even while offering attractive discounts. How can you do so?
Here are four practical tips on how you can use Shopify compare at price to earn more profits for your business:
- Upsell more expensive products – Come up with new, more expensive products, then offer discounts for these products. However, put the discounts such that they are slightly higher than other similar cheaper products. Such a strategy will convince your buyers to spend more, in turn earning you more profits.
- Sell products as bundles – Having a compare at price for bundled products convinces buyers that the deal offered is too good to miss out on. And buying these products means more sales for your business.
- Use the psychological pricing technique – The most common pricing strategy is using the odd number pricing, where the products are priced at .99 instead of .00. Such type of pricing overcomes choice paralyses and encourages more impulse buying. The more your customers buy, the more profits you will make.
- Carry out clear pricing – With the clear pricing strategy, you display your overall price broken down into almost every possible charge. For example, you can include the tax charges for the product, as well as the delivery and return charges. Also, remember to include the exact currency for the product costs. Customers are usually drawn to buying products with clear pricing, as these save them the hassle of calculating the total costs themselves.
How to Remove Compare at Price
Obviously, you cannot sell your products at a discounted price for a long time. Doing such would cost you lots of profits, even lead to customers questioning the quality of your products. Therefore, you will be required to remove your compare at price at one point or the other.
To remove Shopify compare at price, log into your account and go to the Products page. Choose the products you would like to remove the “compare at price”. Under the Pricing section, set the Compare at price to 0. You can then put back your original price in the ‘Price' field of your intended product.
Do you want to get the attention of your customers? Well, all you need to do is to simply show them how they can save more money. And the Shopify Compare at Price feature does exactly that; it allows you to show your customers how much they will be saving by buying your products. So if you have been looking to generate more sales for your business, it is high time you start using this unique Shopify feature.