If you want to know how to get rid of Powered by Shopify, you've come to the right place. Shopify is undoubtedly one of the best e-commerce platforms in the world. In addition to creating countless business opportunities for their users, this platform is also popular for the qualitative features that it offers, as well as its user-friendly interface that makes it an ideal platform for both new and experienced merchants.
However, despite all the benefits provided by Shopify, this platform also has a few petty issues which users encounter. And one of these annoying issues is the ‘Powered by Shopify' link that is usually shown at the store's footer.
TIP | The leading tools you need to start and grow your online business:
So, what exactly is ‘Powered by Shopify'? And how can you get rid of this link text so as to promote a better browsing experience? Read on!
What is Powered by Shopify?
‘Powered by Shopify' is a link text shown in the website footer of a user's account. This text is mainly intended to let your customers and the general public know that the online store has been made on the Shopify platform.
However, one major disadvantage about Powered by Shopify is that it leads customers to believing that yours is a dropshipping store. In turn, this tempts your customers to leave your store and find other better deals elsewhere.
Therefore, removing this sign in the website footer can help to generate more traffic and sales to your store. In addition, removing this link text also makes your online store appear more unique and authentic. After all, by getting rid of the Powered by Shopify text, you promote a cleaner footer. And it goes with saying that, the cleaner your store's footer, the more authentic it appears.
How to Remove Powered by Shopify?
It could be that you want to remove powered by Shopify to enhance the aesthetics. Or you simply want to promote a cleaner store's footer and drive more traffic to your shop. Whichever reason you have for wanting to get rid of this text, the good news is; it is pretty simple to do this.
There are two methods on how to remove the powered by Shopify link from the footer:
Method 1: Using the Edit Languages Option
- Log in your Shopify account so you can see the admin dashboard. On the left-hand sidebar, click on the ‘Online Store‘ sales channel. You should see a list of activities. Click on “Themes”, which is located in the menu.
- Under Themes, you will see two sections: Debut Theme and Current Theme. We're assuming you're using Shopify's free “Debut” theme, but the process is similar for other themes. Click on the “Actions” drop-down menu of the Debut section. This will display a list of activities. Choose the ‘Edit Languages‘ option from the list.
- Tap in the Filter Translations section. Then, type ‘Powered‘ and click on the search icon to bring all results for this.
After removing the text, click on the Save button. The text will be successfully removed from the store's footer.
Method 2: Using the Edit Code Option
The technology used for developing websites changes day by day. And these regular changes and updates made on existing technologies now make it possible for account users to remove the powered by Shopify link by simply editing the code.
However, there are two different versions of Shopify: The New template version and the Old version. And the method on how to remove powered by Shopify varies from one version to the other. Therefore, before you can remove this text using the “Edit code” option, you first need to identify the Shopify version that you have.
To check which version you use:
- Log in to your Shopify dashboard, then click the ‘Online Store' icon to display a list of activities.
- In the list of activities, the Themes activity is usually selected by default. Tap on the Customize button, which is located on the right-hand side of your display screen. This will display the themes setting section.
- Using the mouse, try dragging and dropping any of the sections. The older version of Shopify does not allow the drag and drop function. On the other hand, the new version of Shopify allows users to drag and drop these sections as they wish.
After identifying the version of Shopify that you have, you can now choose which method to use to remove the footer link:
A. How to Remove Powered by Shopify in Newer Version
- Log in to the Shopify dashboard. Then, tap on the Online Store icon located on the left-hand sidebar, in your sales channels section.
- Click on Themes. This will display two sections: Debut Theme and Current Theme. Click on the Debut Theme, then on the Actions drop-down. Under the list of actions displayed, choose Edit code. A ‘Edit code for Debut' settings page will then be displayed.
- In the search field provided, type ‘Footer‘ to display the sections folder which stores the footer file. Then, open the footer.liquid file to display it. Press command + F (for Mac users) or Ctrl + F (on any PC). In the Find field that appears, type Powered by.
- Locate the Powered by Shopify text line in the file, then delete it. Check for any other powered by Shopify links and delete all of them. Then, click on the Save button. Wait for a confirmation message, then refresh the page. The Powered by Shopify link will be successfully removed from your store's footer.
B. How to Remove Powered by Shopify in Older Version
- Log in to the Shopify dashboard. Then, tap on the Online Store icon located on the left-hand sidebar. This will display a list of activities, with Themes being the default activity selected.
- Click on the three dots of the Customizable tab (the tab is located on the right-hand side of the display). In the list displayed, choose ‘edit HTML CSS‘; this will open the theme editor section.
- In the search field section, type ‘Footer‘. You will see the sections folder, where the footer file is located.
- Click on the theme.liquid file to display it. Then, press command + F (for Mac users) or Ctrl + F (on any PC). In the Find field that appears, type Powered by.
- Find the Powered by Shopify link in the file and remove the entire text. Then, click on Save to apply the changes that you made.
Bottom Line – How to Get Rid of Powered by Shopify
“Powered by Shopify”. This is more than just a simple text on your store's footer; its presence can drive away your customers and potential clients. After all, most people consider dropshipping stores as being more expensive, in turn opting to find better deals elsewhere.